Hoodies have become one of the hottest fashions of today, with more and more customers wanting to personalize their hoodies so that they stand out from the crowd. However, making your own hoodie to be personalized may seem like an arduous task, but once you get into it, sublimation on hoodies can be easy and fun!
With this guide on sublimation on hoodies you’ll learn what materials and tools you’ll need, how the process works and which mistakes to avoid along the way!
Why should I use sublimation?
- Sublimation is a more affordable process than screen printing or embroidery.
- The process gives you the ability to fully customize your design and create one-of-a-kind products. – It doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to design graphics, there are plenty of great templates available that you can use as a starting point.
- Sublimation’s will last as long as your fabric does and they won’t peel off like screen prints, so they’re perfect for high wear areas such as sports teams, cheerleaders, and other athletes.
Things you need to know about sublimating
Before you can begin sublimating, you’ll need to purchase a heat press machine and appropriate materials. The heat press machine should come with the ability to both cut and apply the material at the same time.
You’ll also need a screen-printer’s squeegee, which will push ink through the screen and onto your desired fabric. Fabric is usually 100% cotton or 50/50 polyester/cotton blend. When it comes to inks, it’s best to use water-based inks, as they are less toxic than oil-based inks and less likely to cause smudging or fading.
Things you need to know about prints
The sublimation process involves printing a design onto transfer paper, which is then heated to transfer the ink from the paper to the fabric. Sublimation’s are not just for cotton, but can also be applied to polyester and other fabrics with heat-sensitive inks.
The best method for getting a quality print is using a high-quality heat press and making sure that your garments are clean, wrinkle-free and without any loose threads or rips.
When you want to get started with sublimation’s, it’s important to understand how the process works. The first step is creating your design using photo editing software like Photoshop or Illustrator.
Where can I get my custom hoodie designed?
Designing a hoodie for someone can seem like an easy task. Just take the person’s name and slap it on the back, right? Wrong. design is just as important as the name when designing a hoodie, and there are many steps to the process which can leave you feeling overwhelmed.
Thankfully, we have compiled a list of things that you need to know when designing your own custom hoodie for yourself or others. We hope this guide will help make the process easier for you!
How much does it cost?
The cost of subliming will depend on the size and number of hoodies being ordered. On average, a single hoodie with a one-color design can cost anywhere from $60 to $160, depending on if you’re ordering 1 or 20+. For example, if you order 1 hoodie at $160 each, then the total price would be $160.
If you ordered 20+ at $60 each, then the total price would be $1200.
Where can I find the best deals on blank hoodie blanks?
Blank hoodie blanks can be found at a variety of stores, but I’ve found the best deals at American Apparel. For those of you who are new to sublimation printing and need some help, I’ll offer some tips to get you started.
If you’re using a color laser printer, it is important that you use high quality settings (you might have to consult your manual). You will also want to make sure that the area where you’re printing is clear of any dust or debris.
It is always a good idea to test out your design first in case there are any problems with the quality of your print before getting started.
Where can I get this done?
Pricing for this type of printing varies depending on the complexity of the design, the number of colors you want to use and the quantity.
Prices typically start at $2.50/sq. inch for a one-time order, with discounts as high as 20% for larger orders. The more complicated your design is and the bigger your order, the more you can save.
Process Of Sublimation on Hoodies
The process of sublimating an image onto a polyester fabric is a three-step process. First, you need to print the image onto paper using an inkjet printer with photo paper or a thermal transfer printer. Next, you will heat-press the polyester fabric for 40 seconds at 325 degrees Fahrenheit with medium pressure. Lastly, wash and dry the hoodie before wearing it or gifting it to someone special.
Benefits of Hoodie Sublimation
- Subliming your hoodie is a great way to express yourself and show off your personality through your clothing.
- Subliming a hoodie is also a great way to show off any artwork you might have created, and it can be done in any color of ink.
- There are many different styles of sublimated hoodies, from bold colors to more subtle prints that are perfect for everyday wear. Whatever your style, there will be a sublimated hoodie out there just waiting for you!
What kind of printing is best for hoodies?
Screen printing is a popular option for sublimating hoodies, but it can be costly and difficult to start up. Sublimation printing is a good alternative as it’s less expensive and easy to do at home with basic equipment.
There are some drawbacks though, such as the lack of color options and the need for a heat press. If you want to try sublimation printing on your own then read these tips before you get start
Plan out your design beforehand so that you don’t waste any time or materials if you decide halfway through that it doesn’t look good.
How do you dry a hoodie on a print?
Drying the garment is an important step in the sublimation process. The garment needs to be hung to dry, preferably by a clothesline or drying rack.
If a clothesline is not available, then the hoodie should be draped over two chairs and make sure to cover it with a cloth. It will take anywhere from 24-72 hours to dry depending on how wet the fabric is.
How do you clean a 3d printed hoodie?
When you 3D print your own hoodie, there is a tendency for it to feel rough to the touch. There are many ways to clean your 3d printed hoodie, but we recommend using an old toothbrush and dish soap.
Simply dip the toothbrush in dish soap and scrub away at the areas of the garment that may be feeling rough or dirty. Rinse off with warm water and lay flat to dry.
What Makes A Hoodie Good Quality?
In order for a hoodie to be considered good quality, it needs to be durable and hold up in the wash cycle. Polyester is a popular material for making sweatshirts because it can withstand being stretched out and then pulled back into shape.
Polyester also has a low tolerance for shrinkage, so you will get more wear out of your sweatshirt. The best polyester hoodies are 100% polyester and do not have any cotton or other materials mixed in with the fabric. Cotton sweatshirts tend to pill after being worn multiple times, while polyester sweatshirts stay looking newer longer.
What Material Is Used For Hoodies?
Hoodies are one of the most popular articles of clothing among all demographics. They’re versatile, comfortable, and can be worn for almost any occasion.
Plus, they’re inexpensive and easy to find in almost every style and color imaginable. They’re one of the most common articles of clothing in existence because they come with so many benefits. Hoodies are made from a variety of materials, but the most common type is cotton or a cotton blend. Cotton is an extremely durable fabric that has stood the test of time as an excellent material for making hoodies.
- First, you will need to find a design for your hoodie. Check out sites like Redbubble, Society6, and Zazzle. If you’re looking for something more traditional, try Etsy or eBay. You can also make your own design if you have Photoshop or Illustrator skills! There are many tutorials online to teach you how.
- Next, buy an inkjet printer and transfer paper. These can be found at Staples or Office Depot
- For the last step in this guide, we recommend ordering professional sublimation ink from Inkjets Australia
- Take your design and set it up in any program that allows you to print images onto textiles (Adobe Spark, Photoshop, Illustrator). Then take your printer’s test page and use that as a template to set up the alignment of your design. Once printed onto the fabric sheets (not shown), iron them according to package instructions.
- After they cool down (usually 10-15 minutes), peel off the plastic backing of one side of each fabric sheet and place them face down on top of one another. Place a piece of parchment paper over them all then iron again according to package instructions until they cool down again
Last Updated on November 9, 2022