If you’re looking to buy a zero turn mower, you might be wondering what makes one model better than another. There are plenty of different choices to choose from, and they can vary widely in price, durability, performance and more. Looking to buy a zero turn mower, or want to find the best zero turn mower?
Then you’re in the right place! Here at All Best Zero Turn Mowers, we have collected 5 of the best zero turn mowers on the market today and reviewed them for your convenience. If you’re looking for more information about these products and our expert opinion, feel free to continue reading! We also have included links that will take you directly to each of these products on Amazon if you want to buy one today! Enjoy!
No products found.
What is Zero-Turn Mower How Does a Zero-Turn Mower Work?
A zero turn mower is a type of lawn mower that has three sets of wheels, one set in front and two sets in back. The front wheel turns the opposite direction as the other two, meaning it’s not always necessary to turn the machine around to cut grass in every direction. A few different types of these machines exist.
For example, there are self-propelled models where you simply press a pedal with your foot and the engine will push you forward without any manual effort required on your part. Other types require you to walk behind them while pushing them by hand; they’re also referred to as push or pull models depending on how they need to be moved from place to place.
If you are looking for a high quality, powerful zero turn mower that is also easy on your budget, the Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is the best option for you. This mower has a cutting width of 18 inches and features a 4 stroke engine with an automatic transmission that can power through just about any terrain. It also has hydraulic disc brakes, which will help keep it steady when it comes to the more difficult turns.
The Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is easy to maneuver at up to 6 miles per hour and has a wide range of motion that ensures you won’t get hung up on anything. You will be able to cover 5 acres in one hour using this versatile machine, so if you have a lot of property or live in a hilly area, this may be the perfect choice for you. Another great aspect is its stability: unlike other models we have reviewed, this one stays completely still even after prolonged use without any need for repositioning thanks to its self-leveling rear wheels.
- The power steering is great, allowing you to turn in either direction with ease.
- The machine can cut grass up to 8 inches high and the blades are made from high carbon steel for durability .
- With a 24 inch deck, this mower can cover plenty of ground in a short amount of time
- The ZT1 50 comes standard with 3 year warranty on the frame, deck, engine and transmission
- It also has a 4 point height adjustable cutting blade so it’s easy to adjust based on your lawn height preference.
- Like all Cub Cadet products, the ZT1 50 features their innovative Quick Hitch system which allows quick connections to implements like front end loaders or snow blowers.
- While this model does not come with a bagger attachment, Cub Cadet offers a kit that makes adding one easier than ever! Check out the best zero turn mowers here!
- The Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is a great starter zero turn mower for people who want to take care of their own lawns. It is easy to use, fast, and has a wide cutting width. The Cub Cadet ZT1 50 has a deck size of 49 inches by 21 inches which is larger than most standard riding mowers at 40 inches by 20 inches. The best feature of the Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is its power steering that reduces operator fatigue on hillsides or other tough terrain. The steering wheel can be raised or lowered to suit the height of the operator’s seat so it’s comfortable no matter what your height may be.
- Another pro with this model is its price. If you are looking for a reliable, dependable machine without breaking the bank then this is an excellent option.
- One drawback with this machine is that if you have slopes in your yard it may not have enough power to go up them without losing traction on the rear wheels due to insufficient traction from the rubber tires used on these types of machines.
- Another con of the Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is that there are only three forward gears instead of five or six like some models have.
- Cub Cadet is a well-known company that has been producing reliable zero turn mowers for years. However, the Cub Cadet ZT1 50 is not the best option for anyone who doesn’t want to spend the extra money on a quality machine.
The Husqvarna Z254 54′′ is an excellent choice for anyone who needs a mower for large acreage or a lot of lawn. It’s not just the 54′′ wide deck that sets this zero turn mower apart from the rest, but also it’s powerful Kohler 26 HP engine. It’s backed by seven years of warranty coverage to make sure you can enjoy it for many years without worry. Included are features like the laser cut deck height adjustment system, foot operated rear lift gate, gas shut off valve and variable drive speed.
These combine to provide optimal cutting results with precision across any type of terrain in one pass. Optional attachments are available for mulching or blowing leaves too!
- For the Husqvarna Z254 54′′ Zero Turn Mower, it is possible to choose from various cutting widths of between 48 inches and 96 inches, depending on your requirements for an individual situation.
- On the Kohler 26 HP model there are four cutting height ranges that are each set at 3 inch intervals, these ranges are for varying purposes such as rough or delicate work areas or steep terrain as well as making it easy to find a desired height quickly and conveniently.
- The 24 volt lithium ion battery powered engine offers up to 6 hours of runtime per charge which is great if you have large lawns, gardens or fields.
- It has a steering system that makes it easier than ever before to maneuver around tight corners with precision.
- The seat can be adjusted up/down , starting up will be quicker than ever before with just one pull!
- Comfort – this is one of the first things you will notice about the Z254 54′′. The seat on this zero turn mower is very comfortable, so you can go for hours without any back pain or soreness from your legs rubbing together.
- Sound – as a result of having more space in the engine compartment, this Husqvarna zero turn mower has an engine that is less noisy than other models on the market today.
- Handling – if you have never driven a zero turn mower before, be aware that they are different from regular lawn mowers because they are designed to be maneuvered around tight spaces with ease! You will find it very easy to move around objects like trees, hedges and buildings with this model!
- Durability – while you may want to take care not to bump into objects and get them scratched up, the overall durability of this machine is top notch. You won’t need to worry about it breaking down after using it just once!
- Storage Space – again, because there is more room in the engine compartment on this model, there’s plenty of room for storing tools when needed so you’ll always have what you need when you’re out working in the yard.
- Deck Washout – built into each Husqvarna zero turn mower is a deck washout feature which ensures your deck stays free from dirt, grass clippings and leaves which can cause rusting over time and mess up your whole cutting job!
- The Husqvarna Z254 54′′ Zero Turn Mower has a powerful 26 HP Kohler engine that provides you with great power, but the noise can be bothersome to some people.
Having a zero turn mower can make your life easier, especially if you have a large yard. You won’t have to worry about getting stuck in corners or not being able to reach the edges of your lawn. Plus, they are great for maneuverability so you don’t have to worry about getting stuck in tough terrain or bumping into things like flower beds or trees. One of the best models on the market is the RYOBI 42 in.
100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower. It has a lithium ion battery that is great for powering through tough terrain and long distances with no gas fumes. The size of this model is one of its major advantages because it’s perfect for smaller yards and tight spaces. The handle height adjusts from 33 inches all the way up to 44 inches which allows people of any height to use it comfortably.
There are also two speed settings which allow you to control how fast or slow you want it to go without having to engage the blades. The extra thick 20-inch rear tires allow it to climb steep inclines and also give it a more stable ride when going over bumps. With all these features combined, we think this model would be an excellent choice for someone who wants something reliable but doesn’t need anything bigger than this particular size.
- Fastest cutting speed – A fast cutting speed means less time spent on the lawn, so you can get more done with less effort! The RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower is capable of a maximum cut time of up to five minutes at 15 MPH, which is significantly faster than most other mowers on the market today.
- Quiet operation – With an electric motor, there are no fumes or smelly exhaust to worry about, making this one of the most environmentally friendly options available! In addition to being cleaner, it also operates quieter than gas powered models which makes it a better option for those who work nearby or have sensitive ears.
- Tall grass setting – The RYOBI 42 in.
- More powerful engine – Due to its electric design, the RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower has a much more powerful engine than any gasoline model that’s comparable to it.
- Comfortable seat – What good is a ride if you don’t enjoy it? The RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower comes equipped with an ergonomic seat that will make even long days feel like they’re over before they’ve even begun!
- The wide cutting deck (42 inches) is perfect for large yards, where more than one cut is needed to get everything done in a timely manner.
- It’s also well suited for medium sized lawns, but it won’t do well with small ones because of its inability to maneuver around obstacles like trees or bushes
- The three position cutting height adjustment makes it easy to set the mower at your desired height And the steering levers are adjustable so that you can steer the machine comfortably
- The RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower will start up easily even when there is no charge left in the battery
- There are two batteries included with purchase, so this unit does not need to be plugged in all the time
- With each battery able to last an hour on a full charge, this allows the user ample time to finish their job
- One of these batteries charges while the other is being used.
- The battery is not included, which means you have to buy it separately
This mower is one of the most popular in the industry, and for good reason. The IKON XD42 is a 42 deck that will give you excellent control when maneuvering around your lawn. With a cutting width of 21, you can get through any yard quickly and efficiently. The features of this mower are endless, but some to note are easy starting technology, all ball bearing construction, and a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine capable of mulching leaves into dust. You can’t go wrong with this mower.
Briggs & Stratton Lawn Boy 29-Inch: The Briggs & Stratton Lawn Boy 29 inch offers more than enough power and precision for any backyard with its 12 horsepower 196 cc OHV engine. Its turning radius of 29 inches makes it great for those with larger yards who need to make tighter turns without sacrificing the length of their cut. It also has an adjustable rear wheel height which allows you to customize how close or far away from your grass you want the blades to go during operation.
- The best feature of the Ariens IKON XD42 is its patented ErgoStart system which has the power to start the engine with a single press of a button, saving time and reducing frustration for you as the operator.
- The Ariens IKON XD42 also has an advanced DECK CONTROL SYSTEM (DCS) that makes it easy to control deck speed for both cutting grass, mulching or bagging up leaves with its three speeds settings – so you can set your preferred speed with one touch from the seat!
- One last major selling point for this mower is that it comes fully assembled so all you have to do is attach the handlebar and gas tank when it arrives at your doorstep!
- The blades on the Ariens IKON XD42 are made of strong materials called CUTTING EDGE XLT-7 which help reduce wear on the blades and require less sharpening because they maintain their edge over long periods of use.
- The mowing height ranges from 1/2 inch to 4 inches in four different increments, providing flexibility in how you want to cut your lawn.
- In addition, there are two side discharge options: either mulching mode or traditional side discharge chute .
- The IKON XD42 has a 42 inch wide cutting deck which is large enough to tackle any task that might come your way.
- The mower also offers a high degree of maneuverability, making it perfect for maneuvering around obstacles in your yard or on the job site.
- Unlike some other models, the IKON does not have any exterior engine components that could be damaged in rough terrain or if you hit something like a tree stump with your front end loader attachment
- The best part about this zero turn mower is that it can operate at three different speeds: low (1st gear), medium (2nd gear) and high (3rd gear).
- Other pros are that it only takes 20 minutes to change oil and it comes standard with anti-scalp wheels.
- It’s available in right hand or left hand versions so it works well for both righties and lefties! Cons of 42-inch Zero-Turn Mower: Ariens Zero-Turn Mower – IKON XD42:
- Some consumers complained that there was an issue with noise level from the engine even when they had oil changes performed regularly 8. Others said that the battery power died quickly even after being charged
- Large turning radius The Ariens IKON XD42 is a 42 zero-turn mower that is powered by a 26HP Kawasaki engine.
The Husqvarna Z254F is a great mower for those that want their yard work done quickly. The lawn care professionals at LawnStarter recommend this mower for its low maintenance, high durability, and ease of use. This model features a 14.5 horsepower engine, which means that it can tackle the toughest terrain without bogging down. It has a wide deck, which makes it easy to clean up debris after your cut. If you’re looking for an inexpensive zero turn mower that’s easy to use and maintain, the Husqvarna Z254F is perfect for you! With quality like this, the price point is more than fair.
Key Features of Husqvarna Z254F Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower
- Cutting Width – If you want to be able to mow large areas of your lawn in a single go, then look for the largest cutting width possible. The Husqvarna Z254F is capable of cutting through up to a 42 inch wide swath of lawn, making it one of the best zero turn riding mower options on the market today!
- Deck Material – Some models come with a steel deck while others have a poly deck. Generally, steel decks are heavier duty but poly decks are lighter weight and more durable. The Husqvarna Z254F comes with a poly deck which means that it’s more likely to last for years with heavy use!
- Anti-scalp wheels – One way to keep your lawn looking good year after year is by using an anti-scalp wheel. With this safety feature, the blades will not touch any part of the grass so as not to leave indentations on it!
- Briggs & Stratton Engine – When purchasing a new tractor or zero turn mower, one thing you should always do is check out what type of engine powers it. On this model, there’s a Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine which is well known for being dependable even under demanding conditions such as heavy use and high altitudes!
- Capacity to turn tight corners,
- Powerful engine,
- Excellent performance on hills and uneven terrain,
- User-friendly controls
- Rear caster wheels for easy maneuvering in tight spaces and around obstacles,
- Large deck size allows for quicker mowing time,
- Rear seat folds up so that you can stand up while mowing tall grass or when hauling materials,
- Easy to maintain with the automatic oil change system
- The price tag is hefty, as this is one of the more expensive models on the market today.
Things to consider before buying best Zero Turn Mowers
When it comes to purchasing a good zero turn mower, there are many factors that come into play. You should take the following things into consideration before deciding on your next purchase.
- How much lawn do you have?
- Are you looking for a quality zero turn mower or something cheaper?
- Do you need an electric start or not?
- Will your lawn be flat or will it have hills and slopes to maneuver around?
- What size engine do you need – V Twin, V Quad, Small Frame, L Frame
- Is fuel efficiency important to you?
- Do you prefer air cooled engines (less maintenance)?
- Will the terrain affect your type of mower choice?
When it comes to buying a zero turn mower, you have a lot of options. Whether you are looking for one with a lower price point or one that is better quality, there is likely something out there for you. The only downside to these machines is the fact that they cost more upfront, but that can be offset by the savings in fuel costs and maintenance. If you are looking for the best zero turn mowers on the market today, then these reviews should help you make an educated decision! We’ve done the research so that you don’t have to spend your entire day sorting through all of this information.
Which is the best zero turn mower?
There’s no one answer to this question because it really depends on your needs. Some considerations include the size of your lawn, if you need a ride on or walk behind option, what kind of terrain you want to cover, what kind of budget you have available, etc.
How much horsepower does a zero turn mower typically require?
A typical zero turn mower usually requires between 500 and 2200 watts of power. The higher the wattage needed will depend on how big the engine is in your machine as well as its blade size (and thus its cutting area).
What are some features that should be looked for when purchasing a new zero turn mower?
When you’re out shopping for a new zero turn mower, here are some important considerations. The more of these that your mower offers, then generally speaking, it is going to be a better overall choice.
References & Additional Resources
Last Updated on December 24, 2022